The history of Loi Krathong festival
- 2010-11-16 5:29:41 โพสต์โดย : patra คนอ่าน 6,329 คน
|The history of Loi Krathong festival|
|Loi Krathong festival is a Thai tradition which has been conducted for a long time ago. Loi Krathong has been held since the middle of the eleventh to the middle of the twelfth lunar month, which is a great flood season- especially on the full moon night of the twelfth lunar month. When the moon shines at night, it makes rivers clear. It is very beautiful scenery which is suitable for floating krathong.
In Rattanakosin period, people often made big and beautiful krathong. According to Chao Phraya Dhipharachawongs historical annals said:-
In the twelfth lunar month on 14 and 15 waxing moon, I ask for members of the royal family and civil servants making big-sized krathongs- look like banana trunk rafts, they size 8-9 sauk width (an ancient Thai measure of length) and 10-11 sauk tall. They make for contesting each other. For example, some imitate krathong as Mount Meru – shaped and others make krathong as basket decorated with flowers. There are a lot of people to do these so they use a lot of money- about 20 chung (an ancient measure of weight).
Nowadays, Loi Krathong festival is held in mostly Thai provinces. Particularly in Chiangmai, it has krathong parade, contestation of making krathongs, and Noppamas beauty pageants contest.
Interesting stories about Loi Krathong
There are many legends of Loi Krathong:-
1. Loi Krathong is to ask for forgiveness Pra Mae Khongkha.
2. According to Brahma belief, Loi Krathong is to worship God.
3. Loi Krathong is to welcome Buddha when he came back to the world- he had stayed in the ?????Buddhist temple during the rainy season at the second heaven ruler to teach his mother.
4. Loi Krathong is to worship foot-print of Buddha on the Nammathanati River beach.
5. Loi Krathong is to worship Chulamanee in the heaven where the Buddhas hair is buried.
6. Loi Krathong is to worship Bhakabhrama in heaven.
7. Loi Krathong is to worship Uppakutta-dhera who observed religious precept at the middle ?????portion of the sea.
Loi Krathongs history in Thailand
Loi Krathong in Thailand originated in Sukhothai period as Loy Phra Pra Teip or Loy Khom (floating lantern). It is a festival of Thai people. After that, Noppamas- the most favorite concubines Sukhothai king – created krathong, like lotus-shaped, for floating in the river. Instead of floating lantern, it used for worshipping the foot-print of Buddha at Nammathanati River beach in Thakkhinabodh district, India. As we called Nehrabhuddha river.
At the temples and tourist places, they held contestation of making krathong and Noppamas beauty pageants contest. There are many entertainment shows at night. Moreover, they set cautiously fireworks. The materials, used for making krathong, could be easily decomposed.